Monday, January 10, 2011

17 and focused

I met the most interesting young woman this week.  I will call her "17 and focused".  "Ms. 17 and focused" looks like she could be 24.  Tall, gorgeous, put together, stylish, confident...but still a teen.  She is a new staff member at Salon M in our guest services role...aka the front desk crew.  On Saturday late afternoon I had an open time-slot and offered to do an up-do on her for fun.  She agreed and we began to get to know one-another.  It was a fun and interesting 45 minutes.

"17 and focused" is a senior in high-school.  She works 24 hours a week at our salon, baby-sits for her neighbors, is a twin and has a slight Heather Locklear look about her.  She plans to go to college in the Fall. 

One of my favorite questions to ask people is, "What is your dream job"?  "Ms. 17" didn't miss a beat and replied seconds after the question was proposed.  She clearly and confidently stated, "a divorce negotiator". 

WHAT!??  Hopefully I didn't make a weird face!!!

I immediately thought, "Why is this young woman so set on trudging through the mess of divorce for a career!???  Who would ever want that?  I didn't even know this career exists!"

She went on to tell me that her parents are still married but have had many ups-and-downs along their journey.  "Ms. 17" described herself as someone who helps others make decisions concerning relationships.  I am always baffled by people who have such a definite career in mind in their teen-age years.  I had interests but never a clear idea. 

I think the whole conversation made me sad.  Why is this 17 year old focused on such heavy life issues?  Why is she working 24 hours weekly at the salon, baby-sitting for tax-free money (as she was sure to point out), and looking forward to her future career as a divorce negotiator.  Where is her fun?  Does she have the freedom to simply ENJOY?  What is driving this young woman? 

As I looked and imagined what was going on inside for her, I then turned the questions to myself.

Where is my fun?

Do I have the freedom to simply ENJOY?

What is driving me?

It turns out these are hard questions to answer.  "Ms. 17" challenged me. 

I'm happy to report her up-do turned out beautiful...picture a side swept, low-bun.  It had a beautiful texture about the whole look with an old holly-wood twist.  "Ms. 17" LOVED the up-do and told everyone she has "dibs" on me for prom.  It felt good to make her beautiful, it felt good that she liked it, but even better - it felt good that I liked it. 

Where is your fun?

Do you have the freedom to simply ENJOY?

What is driving you?

1 comment: